Friday, July 3, 2009

A Favorite Hymn: "In Christ Alone"

Even though this is a recently written song, it is one of my favorite hymns (which might otherwise imply something very old).  It is entitled "In Christ Alone."  Written by Keith Getty and Stuart Townend, these men, along with Mr. Getty's wife Kristyn, are best described as modern hymn writers.  For my purposes, their hymns are a breath of fresh air when compared to the numerous praise choruses.  I'm not totally anti-praise chorus for there are many excellent ones, but the pendulum has certainly swung too far in the direction of praise choruses in recent years.
I hope you enjoy this hymn- it's very appropriate for Easter due to its message, but I find it uplifting any time I hear it.  Musically, I really like how Keith Getty puts the key changes (there are two) at key points in the message of the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment